Calder Medical Centre
The Calder Medical Centre – named in honour of Jasper Calder, the very first Auckland City Missioner – brings primary health care services to Auckland’s most marginalised residents.
The service is set up as a very low cost General Practice and is closely integrated with the Mission’s social services.
The Calder Centre is open to the general public and specialises in providing accessible, affordable care to the homeless, families and individuals in crisis, clients with mental health concerns and those with alcohol and other drug addictions. Due to barriers such as a lack of finances, trust issues, cultural issues and very chaotic lifestyles, many of these patients would not otherwise have regular access to a GP.
One of the worst things about sleeping rough in winter is being wet all the time. My feet get infected because my shoes and socks are always wet – my feet smell and I am ashamed. The nurse at the Calder Centre cleans my feet and treats the infection. No one else wanted to do this for me.
All children and teenagers up to the age of 18 are free of charge.
The Calder Centre is located at 136 Hobson Street and is open Monday – Friday, 9am – 4:30pm. Phone: 09 303 9266 for information or to make an appointment.
Located in the same building is the Hobson Street Pharmacy, providing additional health care services to the community.
Enrolled Patent Fees
For more information about enrolment and the variety of services offered at the Calder Centre, please see the following links:
- After Hours cover
- Free Auckland Primary Health Organisation services & support programmes – offered to eligible and enrolled clients.
- Calder Centre Policy on: issuing medical certificates for a sickness benefit
- Calder Centre Policy on: prescribing medications with known abuse potential
For more information: Auckland Primary Health Organisation.
- Emergencies: Dial 111 for an ambulance
- Urgent medical care: Our phone is diverted to a 24 hour nursing triage service. You will be able to speak to a registered nurse, who will give you advice to suit your situation. Phone: 09 303 9266