The Mission utilises the support of more than 4,000 volunteers every year. We simply could not run our services without the help of our wonderful volunteers and we are extremely grateful for any time spared to help us support people in desperate need.
Group Volunteers – Corporate or Community
Hundreds of people volunteer at the Mission every year as part of a corporate or community group. Group volunteers are most often engaged in packing emergency food parcels for struggling families, or sorting donated clothing and household items.
Both of these activities take place at our Distribution Centre in Grafton.
Please note: All volunteers must be over 18 years of age. Opportunities do not generally exist for group volunteers to work directly with clients.
To schedule your group of 3-20 people to volunteer at the Mission’s Distribution Centre, please email your details to the fundraising team.
Regular, Individual Volunteers
Up to 75 volunteers work on a regular basis at the Mission. They are involved with a variety of tasks including: helping at Drop-in, assisting in the New Beginnings shops, taking Detox clients to appointments and activities and assisting with administration and general maintenance.
To become a regular volunteer, you must be over 18 years of age, be prepared to undergo a recruitment screening process which includes a criminal record check and willing to sign a Volunteer Agreement.
Volunteers have defined roles and responsibilities which will be explained in detail during the recruitment process.
Current Volunteer vacancies
- Volunteer Homeless Community Driver: This role involves driving clients to and from various activities in the Mission van, so a full NZ Driver Licence is needed. Days and times are by negotiation. Please contact Wilf Holt for further information.
- Volunteer Shop Assistants – Hobson Street: Our busy New Beginnings shop on Hobson St is looking for volunteer shop assistants. The hours and days are negotiable between 9am – 4pm Monday to Friday. Ideally, you will have customer service, selling and cash handling skills. Please contact Tracy Goddard on 09 377 4452 for more information.
- Volunteer Sorters: The Mission’s Distribution Centre in Grafton needs some extra help sorting donated clothes and food. We would like to hear from people who can give 3 or 4 hours a week/fortnight on a regular basis between the hours of 7am and 3.30pm Mon – Fri and 8am and 4.30 pm on Sat. This work makes a practical difference to the Mission’s clients. If you are keen to find out more and are happy to volunteer in a warehouse environment doing reasonably physical work please contact Tracy Goddard on 09 377 4452.
- Volunteer Shop Assistants – Glen Innes: Our busy New Beginnings shop in Glen Innes is looking for volunteer shop assistants.The hours and days are negotiable between 9am – 4pm Tuesday to Friday. Ideally you will have customer service, selling and cash handling skills. Please contact Christine Thompson on 09 528 0260 for more information.
- Volunteer Shop Assistants – Grafton: Our busy New Beginnings shop in Grafton is looking for volunteer shop assistants. The hours and days are negotiable between 9am – 3pm Monday to Saturday. Ideally you will have customer service, selling and cash handling skills. Please contact Tracy Goddard on 09 377 4452.